Social media marketing is the new hype in online marketing those days. Yet some still think it’s all about hanging around Facebook and Twitter all day, posting, re-posting, sharing photos, updates and chit-chatting with fans. In the following list of quick tips, I try to shed more lights on best practices for social media marketing activities. Having said that, can I ask you to be kind and share this list with your friends!
- Social media marketing is all about relationship selling, based on developing relationships with customers, using messages that offer the illusion of one-on-one communication.
- Social media marketing aims to complement your branding efforts, as it helps in establishing name recognition, visibility, presence and top of mind awareness.
- Social media marketing helps people to remember your company’s name when they need your product or service.
- Social media marketing isn’t worthy of your time and effort if you don’t plan to keep it going for the long term. (aka, don’t expect quick miracles)
“Customers who engage with companies over social media spend 20% to 40% more money with those companies than other customers. They also demonstrate a deeper emotional commitment to the companies, granting them an average 33 points higher net promoter score, a common measure of customer loyalty.” – A study by Bain & Company.
- Social media marketing is only one part of online marketing. Online marketing is only one part of marketing. Advertising is also one part of marketing. Don’t mistake the part for the whole.
- Social media marketing won’t meet all of your online marketing needs.
- Social media marketing is about fishing where fish are, so if your potential customers are not on a certain social media outlet, don’t start a campaign there.
- Social media marketing helps in making people see your message and brand name, to help them remember it, based on the fact that customers need to see your message at least 7 times before they can remember it.
“Let social media complement your blog, not take center stage.” –Ana White
- SEO Tip: Internet users usually don’t type more than 5 words while searching. This average is increasing year after year. When your content matches those 5 words, you have the advantage.
- Twitter Tip: First 42 characters of your tweet are the most important, as they serve as the Page Title to that tweet, which complements your SEO activities.
- Twitter Tip: All links on Twitter updates are made nofollow by default by Twitter itself. Pinterest does the same for images.